Easy Recipes and Advice for Gluten Free Folk


"Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die." Alfred Lord Tennyson

Having a gluten free house is just a way of life for us. I am willing to do whatever it takes to ensure my son (and my husband) is healthy and thriving. I don't care about sacrifices or inconvenience when I get to see the wonderful, rambunctious boy being wonderful and rambunctious. I wondered if we would ever get to see him be that way. We thank the wonderful heavens every day for this boy and as stewards of this amazing creature we will do absolutely anything for him. Nothing is too hard.

Gluten-Free Recipes

Gluten-Free Recipes
I have scoured numerous recipe books and the internet for decent gluten free recipes I have also adapted awesome gluten filled recipes to safe ones .I will keep posting my favorite recipes (the ones that turn out and the fam will eat.)

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shepherd's Pie Recipe

People are always asking what they can make for our family when they have us over or bring meals in. One of my favorite foods as a kid was Shepherd's Pie and it's normally gluten free. I'm so glad we got reintroduced. If you are trying to go gluten free this is an easy, cheap and comforting meal that the whole family will love. I usually double the recipe and make an extra pan to have for breakfast and after school snacks.
Shepherd's Pie
Put a pot of water on the stove to boil. Scrub 6-9 potatoes and slice about an inch thick. Place these in the boiling water to cook. While you are doing this work on the hamburger mixture.

Brown a pound of hamburger (I raided my parent's organic beef) with a chopped onion. Add a handful of seasoning salt of your choice and 1 t of pepper. Once the hamburger is browned, add a can of corn, a can of green beans and a can of tomato sauce. Take off heat.  

Heat the oven to 375.
Your potatoes are done if they are soft when you stick a fork in them. Drain off the water and add about a cup of chicken broth. Mash up your potatoes with a large fork or you can use an electric mixer but I like my potatoes chunky.
Dump the hamburger mixture into the bottom of a 9 by 11 cake pan. Spread it out evenly. Then drop the mashed potatoes by spoonful onto the hamburger. 

Spread the potatoes out smoothly.

 Then top with your favorite kind of cheese. Note: Gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance go hand in hand. I try to keep dairy out of the house too but sometimes you just need cheese.


Cook the casserole until the cheese is all the way melted. 
 Serve while warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment