Easy Recipes and Advice for Gluten Free Folk


"Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die." Alfred Lord Tennyson

Having a gluten free house is just a way of life for us. I am willing to do whatever it takes to ensure my son (and my husband) is healthy and thriving. I don't care about sacrifices or inconvenience when I get to see the wonderful, rambunctious boy being wonderful and rambunctious. I wondered if we would ever get to see him be that way. We thank the wonderful heavens every day for this boy and as stewards of this amazing creature we will do absolutely anything for him. Nothing is too hard.

Gluten-Free Recipes

Gluten-Free Recipes
I have scoured numerous recipe books and the internet for decent gluten free recipes I have also adapted awesome gluten filled recipes to safe ones .I will keep posting my favorite recipes (the ones that turn out and the fam will eat.)

Monday, April 15, 2013

Kids Sports


Warning: This post is a vent.
My son Thor is the nicest kid. He is respectful, mostly obedient, kind, compassionate and goofy. I, of course, think he's the best. When I feel that my kids have been wronged or treated badly I want to rip the offenders face off. Even if the offender is my other kid. I have a really hard time letting natural consequences take their course. 
My kids play sports mostly because I grew up playing sports. They were an awesome outlet for me and I had spectacular coaches. We have coached our kids sports because we realized early on that great coaches are hard to come by. Not that we think we're great, but we are fair and enthusiastic. We have coached Cash in soccer for 3 years. This is our last year because we are not soccer players and Cash is outgrowing us. We could coach basketball forever but our older kids don't really love it, we'll see (fingers crossed). Thor started playing lacrosse a couple of years ago. This sport is totally foreign to us so we can't coach. This is why Thor got downhearted this weekend and I am obsessing.
Thor had his first lacrosse game of the season this weekend and played like 3 minutes out of the whole game. He's 10. Seriously?! I haven't seen him this sad in a long time. The poor little guy was holding back the tears really well which meant I couldn't cry even though I felt like it too. Trav chatted with him on the way home. Trav was feeling him out on how he felt about lacrosse. He offered to pay him $100 to quit right then. Thor wouldn't do it. He really loves lacrosse. When he got home I asked how it went as he headed up the stairs. All he said was that he didn't get to play much. When I probed I learned he doesn't even get scrimmage time at practice. 
So I wasted no time in emailing the coach to ask if we are wasting out time in this lacrosse endeavor. Thor practices 3 times a week and has to be to the games an hour early every Saturday. Our family time is important so we sacrificing too so he can play. I tried to be kind and give this guy (whom I now hate) the benefit of the doubt even though I wanted to drive to his house (if I knew where he lived) and at least slash his tires. He expained that he is trying to balance winning and playing time. He said it was an oversight that Thor wasn't scrimmaging at practice and that he was trying to remedy that. This guy is giving up his time too and he has a lot of kids on the team. 
My problem is this. Do the kids really care who wins or do they care if they play? Thor didn't bring up once that they won. As a coach, I always feel like it's my responsibility to make sure the kids have a great time and that they learn some skills and gain a love of the sport. I don't coach college or competition level, obviously. But what is youth sports for? There are so many wonderful things that my coaches taught me and  a lot wasn't about the sport they taught. When did we get so obsessed with winning that it gets in the way of humanity? When a boy gets his heart broken is it worth it if we win?
What about the boys that get to play and then next year decide they don't like lacrosse or they are better at basketball? I grew like 10 inches my sophomore year. I went from a point guard to a power forward in one year. I could barely walk without falling over and most of the skills I had worked on for 7 years were not longer required and I needed new ones. I sat the bench for a year or two. But I worked by buns off and my senior year I was a starter and I got a scholarship to play ball in college. Some of the girls that played over me quit for various reasons. A lot of them sat while I played my senior year. How can we tell who is going to be great and who peaked early when these kids are 10? How can we tell who wants it bad enough? How can we rule anyone out? This is how I think.
When is it worth it to win at all costs? What does this teach this boy? I'm trying to raise a great man who will be a loving husband and a responsible father. I don't care if he wins at lacrosse. If it were up to me, we would never see this coach again. But what does that teach my son about life. We always say we never quit. Am I too much of a baby to handle this situation? Do I want out because it's easier for me? 
Thor wants to keep playing so he will. He and Trav signed a contract to practice every day. They mapped out a game plan. This still doesn't guarantee playing time but at least he has a game plan. That always helps me.
I hope he realizes that he is important as a person and that it doesn't matter how good he is at lacrosse (because he's not great). He's so smart, he sings in a childrens choir, he plays piano, he won a chess tournament, etc. I hope this turns out to be a good learning experience for him. Mostly, I wish that he would never play again and I wish that the coach gets scheduled to work overtime and can't coach anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you, Karyn. So far, Ally has had great coaches, and all but 1 of Lizzi's were pretty good (it's always easier though when your kid is the one playing most of the game). At 10, coaches need to be more concerned about teaching the game and sportsmanship than anything else. Thor is lucky to have you & Trav for parents. Find him another team for next season & go cheer like crazy for every minutes of playing time he gets this season. Any coach worth his merit would recognize that Thor is an asset to any team! Besides, I would bet that Thor's daddy could always take him! Just kidding. I love that kid.

    ReplyDelete