Easy Recipes and Advice for Gluten Free Folk


"Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die." Alfred Lord Tennyson

Having a gluten free house is just a way of life for us. I am willing to do whatever it takes to ensure my son (and my husband) is healthy and thriving. I don't care about sacrifices or inconvenience when I get to see the wonderful, rambunctious boy being wonderful and rambunctious. I wondered if we would ever get to see him be that way. We thank the wonderful heavens every day for this boy and as stewards of this amazing creature we will do absolutely anything for him. Nothing is too hard.

Gluten-Free Recipes

Gluten-Free Recipes
I have scoured numerous recipe books and the internet for decent gluten free recipes I have also adapted awesome gluten filled recipes to safe ones .I will keep posting my favorite recipes (the ones that turn out and the fam will eat.)

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gluten Free Sandwich Bread

I recently got asked to make the sacrament bread for all the people with allergies in our ward. There are only 3 families. But we needed to have bread for people with allergies to gluten, corn, soy, nuts, dairy and I could only use organic eggs. Here is the recipe I used:
I preheat the oven to 375.
First I proof the yeast. I get the water as hot as I can from the tap. 1 1/8 cup of water. Then I add 1 tsp of brown sugar and a packet (about 2 1/2 t) of yeast. I let this sit while I get the rest of the ingredients ready.
Next I add the flours to my Kitchenaid. I use 3 1/4 cups of gluten free flours. The ones I needed for this batch were tapioca flour, brown rice flour and sorghum flour. (Sorghum flour is great because it is sweet and this recipe doesn't have alot of sugar in it.) I add about 1 c of 2 and 1 1/2 c of the other. Then you add 3 1/2 t xanthan gum, 1/4 t creme of tartar and 1 1/2 t salt. Next add 3 T brown sugar. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
In another bowl, mix 3 eggs and 3 T vegetable oil (I use olive oil). Use a whisk and make sure it's well blended. I add this egg mix to the dry with the proofed yeast. I mix them together really well with my paddle. This dough is sticky. You can't really handle it with your hands. I spray my bread pan with olive oil pan spray. Then I spoon out the dough with the spatula. I still haven't figured out how to make the bread pretty but I try to smooth it out as much as possible.
Then I place a wet dish towel over the bread dough and put it in the oven. Turn off the oven and let the bread raise. I have learned that it's not so much a time thing as what the bread does. So leave it in until it's raised to where you want it. Then I take off the towel and put the oven at 375 again. Last time I cooked the bread for 30 minutes and it came out really moist. I looked like actual bread. I have been super happy with this recipe. It slices thin and doesn't crumble. There's not alot of flavor. Last time I added honey.
You really can use any gluten free flours that you want like quinoa, buckwheat, white rice, sweet rice, cornstarch, corn flour, etc... But I'm careful of the corn because most of it is gmo.
Good luck with the bread. It took me 6 years to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment